Saturday, June 29, 2013

What makes you feel inspired?


"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." -Dr. Seuss 

Inspiration. I find this concept immensely interesting. I think true inspiration happens when we step back and really notice what is happening around us. Tuning out the noise, the daily mishaps and busyness is something I am focusing on lately. When we step outside of ourselves to really see-that's when we let the good stuff in. 

Finding the humour in things and looking for the positives is a good practice even though it's often hard to do. This thought shift has really been helpful for me. I guess it comes down to the little things like this:

• We had a Deer in our yard last night that just stood there in the poring rain chewing on grass. He didn't care it was raining. He just stood there for over 30 entertaining minutes and my kids found this hilarious. 

• During the day I can hear our neighbours horse neighing  When he does this it sounds like he telling us he still there, "Hey, I'm in this field and I could use a juicy apple right now." 

• Waking up to paper, crayons and markers all over the living room floor is inspiring. This tells me good ideas are happening here. It just says productive free learning all over it. 

• Cartoons remind me that life isn't as serious as we adults feel it is or in the habit of feeling like it is. Gravity is defied, time is no object, no one gets old, and animals talk. It's all about being in the now, the ridiculous and escapism in a good way. 

• Creative underdogs are really inspiring. They just do, make and keep it going despite lack of notoriety or social networking fame. Not caring what others think is liberating. We worry too much.  

• Sometimes true wisdom can be found on t-shirts. Short, sweet and to the witty point really amuses me sometimes. 

• I love when one idea leads to 20 more. That's a great feeling. 

• I love when my kids cannot wait to show me what they made. Their happiness and enthusiasm is so contagious. Sadly we lose that fearlessness as adults an we end up questioning every idea and the things we make. 

• Stepping away from the computer, reading books, sketching and doing something old school is really good for my brain. It's a short period of time where I feel like I am sticking it to the man! 

• I love the busy sound of pencil crayons on paper. It's fast and determined. If free creativity had a sound, that would be it for me. 

• I love stumbling upon a new song that makes me wonder how I never heard it before now. I love that surprising feeling. 

• The mist moving over the mountains in the morning has a very relaxing mesmerizing effect. Almost like a lava lamp.  

• The first cup of coffee in the morning when the house is quiet is the best. It's just about me and my relationship with a fine homemade cup of caffeinated love! 

• Great conversations, although rare for some of us, can motivate and level out creativity on the days when I've been in the creative house bubble too long. A real meeting of the minds is important. This positive energy can help you feel you are part of something bigger than what goes on in your studio. 

What inspires you? 


"Imagination and fiction make up more than three-quarters of our real life." -Simone Weil

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lets continue the conversation...