Monday, January 26, 2015

I don't want to finish everything.


©Holly DeWolf- warm up sketch


"Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is the noble art of leaving things undone. The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of non-essentials." - Lin Yutang
I leave things undone. 

I never used to. 
I was once one of those freelancers that had a long list of to-do's and did everything I could to finish everything that was jotted down. When I didn't, I felt disappointed. 

"When you let go of what trying to get more of what you don't really need – which is what most of us spend our lives trying to get more of – an enormous amount of energy is freed up to make a difference with what you have. When you make a difference with what you have – it expands." - Lynne Twist


As we become seasoned illustrators we want more than our projects- we want moments of creative freedom, we want to work on what matters to us and have a life! We also want to sleep every once and a while and wear big people clothes. We want to leave the creative bubble to go outside with people and breathe in fresh air and see the sun too. 


I stopped apologizing for being a busy parent long ago. I do not want to take on everything nor do I want to work 14 hours a day. I cannot always take on quick turn around projects. For some illustrators that schedule works and for the rest of us, we balance it all the best we can. No apologies required. 


"Art is never finished, only abandoned." -Leonard da Vinci


I'm a firm believer that if you're finished then you're all done! I don't ever want that infinite imagination loop to ever stop. Because of that, I shelve projects and ideas often. I think its my way of storing ideas while constantly having something in the creative bank to look forward too. I never throw away a hint, a nudge or a notion. They're way too valuable to ignore! 


"Sometimes when I consider what tremendous consequences come from little things… I am tempted to think that perhaps there are no little things."
- Bruce Barton

1 comment:

  1. I'm a sign painter, an artist at heart. Stumbled on this blog post, thank you. Food for thought and balm to the busy soul. I remind myself daily that the Urgent is the enemy of the Important. My dad always used to say, Keep your priorities in order.

    ReplyDelete

Lets continue the conversation...