Wednesday, January 28, 2015

My favourite illustration things!




"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." - Arthur Ashe 


Dr. PH Martins Bleed proof white-
This is the best paint to use along with gouache. It is a true white. Don't let the small jar size size fool you. This jar lasts a long time and if it dries out, you can re-work with some water. 

• Loose leaf-
I keep a heaping pile on my desk not only for myself but for the kids too. It's one of those basic things I use that is helpful for quick notes, doodles that is inexpensive to use. 

Black Gold brushes-
I cannot express how good these brushes are when it comes to getting a clean line and the longevity of brush life. 

• Windsor & Newton Gouache-
This is my favourite paint. The pigment and quality can't be beat. They're a little pricey but they last awhile. 

Sennheiser headphones
Long days at my desk are best accompanied with good music or a really great podcast. For the moments I need to drift off because the kids are noisy or the cartoons, WiiU, or the minecraft music is making me sleepy, these bad boys really help! 

Obus forme back support-
This back roll for my chair has been the best thing ever. Last year I threw my back out twice and recovery was challenging. Now I've incorporated better seating, yoga, exercise plus having this back support. It's worked wonders! 

• A great view with natural light- 
Living in a valley that faces the Kennebecasis River has its advantages. 

Staedtler mechanical pencil-
I love this pencil. It's slim and has the right weight. It's my pencil of choice for sketching out ideas and it's great on tracing paper. 

• Tracing paper-
I use this as much as loose leaf. It's the best for sketching and layering ideas. Invest in a good brand such as Canson that will stand up to erasing.  

• Desk toys- 
Distraction, misdirection and fiddling is good for the stressful days and to give your eyes a break. 

• Having a cat- 
I don't know how I got by without my little boy Toby. He is a great distraction, foot warmer and office buddy. 

What are yours? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lets continue the conversation...